Thursday, October 10, 2013

God's Mission is Outside the Bubble...

  So I just started reading the book, "Compelled by Love: The Most Excellent Way to Missional Living" and even though I'm only 2 chapters in, I can tell it will be challenging and convicting.  It's right where my head has been as of late.  The premise of the book is that we are all called to love others, not just other believers, but truly all those we come in to contact with.  When we truly see, experience, and live in the reality of God's love for us, how could we live any other way?  I really appreciate how the pages (at least what I've read) are full of scripture references and not just someone's opinion.  I love how the book presents the progression of the Christian life based on Galatians 2:19-20 - 1.  Christ's love in me, compels me  2.  Christ's love for me convinces me  3.  Christ's love at work in me, changes me.  I can not live a life of love on my...but rather the work of Christ and His love in me.  So often I try harder to love people, but in my own strength that will NEVER happen.  We are called to love as God does, which will never be accomplished while I'm living for myself.  This quote pretty much sums it up, "the lost are waiting to meet the believers who look like Jesus, not just talk about Him."  We will learn to love people (all people) when we learn to see them how God sees them.
  Chapter 2 goes right along with my previous blog post.  One of the sections is titled, "God's Mission is Outside the Bubble" and had some great food for thought.  "It seems we work hard to insulate ourselves from the very world Jesus says we should be focused on.  It seems we have created, without malicious design, a Christian bubble - an evangelical subculture - where Christians live surrounded only by other Christians, and as a result, there are few among the lost whom we get to know intimately."  I want to intentionally be involving myself with those outside the church.  To be living Christ's love in my neighborhood and workplace.  It's time to get dirty - get out the comfort of our church walls and make a difference.  Reach out to the hurting we see and love them - not for what they can do for us, but simply because we have been given great love through Christ.  What greater motivation do we need?  How many outside of my Christian circle can I truly say I show love to on a consistent basis?  Am I the one they come to when they have a need?   Is my life, every aspect, defined by love?  Do people know I am a Christian, not because I go to church on Sunday, but because of my love?  "The missional outworking of His heart in our lives refuses to allow us to sit still.  He drives us to the rocky places of people's lives."  Am I willing to go to the rocky places?
  One of my new favorite bands to listen to is a group based out of Oklahoma called Warr Acres.  While I was reading today, I started thinking about their song "Shadow of the Steeple" and how well it went along with this idea of loving others.  Here are the words and if you've never heard of them, you should totally check out their album.

Shadow of the Steeple

We’re stuck in complacency
We clock in once a week
The same routine
Some people put up a façade
Get by on a friendly nod
While inside hurting

We’ve been commanded to serve
We’ve been commanded to love
We’ve been commanded to go
These orders are from above
This isn’t too much to ask
This is the least we can do
Think of all He’s done for me
And all He’s done for You

In the shadow of the steeple
There are people who’ve lost their way
And in the neighborhoods surrounding
Hearts are pounding in great pain
Is there anyone to help them
And to tell them there’s a way
Is there anyone to love them
And to show them Jesus’ face

It’s time to be Christ’s feet and hands
Move from the sidelines and the stands, no spectating
It’s time to roll up all our sleeves
Kneel down and wash some dirty feet
And it might get messy but that’s okay ‘cause

We will go, we will go 


Am I willing to go??

No comments:

Post a Comment