Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Brazil trip - Day 11...

Woke up excited today!  I am ready to head home and catch up with my family and friends!  It's been 11 days since I've had contact with any of them.  The technology break was nice but now there are 10+ days of stuff to catch every one up on.  I was just thinking last night of all the things that happened in the world and we have no idea.  I'm sure the morning hours will tick by slowly since we are all so
ready to head home, but it will be here before we know it.  We had my favorite for breakfast this morning...manioc breakfast sandwiches and fried bananas, oh and sweet coffee too.  I must be becoming part Brazilian!  Since the morning was dragging, Jeanette and I set out to check our the zoo at the hotel.  Of course it didn't open promptly at 8!  It had a jaguar, a few types of birds, and monkeys. I guess since we didn't get to see monkeys in the wild, this was going to be the next best thing.  Jeanette and I decided to entertain ourselves by ad libbing what the monkeys were saying.  Exhaustion must be setting in but we were definitely cracking ourselves up!  It was still only about 9 am so we headed back to the mall to kill some time.  Of course we ended up finding more to buy!  Good thing I have plenty of space in my luggage.  It was finally time to head back to the boat for our final meal together.  Did my last round of dishes for the team and then it was time to pack up the bus.  Lynn and Julie weren't leaving til later that night so it was time for another round of goodbyes with them and the crew.  We couldn't have asked for better people to take care of us.  I don't think there was anything else they could have done to make the trip any easier for us.  CBM has a great ministry and I was privileged to spend a few weeks having a small part in it.  After the goodbyes, we headed off to the airport.  They only let you check in so far ahead of your flight, so Jeanette, Leann, and I headed off for some more shopping.  I'm sure I will be all shopped out for a while the last couple of days.  I did finally find my Havaianas with the Brazilian flag, so my shopping is now complete!  Once we checked
in at TAM we had to go through security, which is nothing like in the States.  They put your bags through the X-ray machine but then go through EVERYTHING!!  They unzip every pocket and through every baggie.  They didn't know what my Avon bug spray was so they confiscated it.  They empty everything on to the belt...so imagine bras, underwear, tampons, and anything you would rather the world didn't see spread out for all to see!  Oh well, I guess we can feel safe.  I was finally able to get wifi for the first time since we left Miami so I called a few people who of course didn't answer!  Also got to text a few iMessage users...it was great to finally be in contact with and hear from a few people.  Since Jeanette was flying to Rio tonight instead of Miami, she got put in a different security line and a different terminal...so I didn't even get to say goodbye except through the glass.  I'm going to miss that girl and all her craziness.  What will I do when she isn't around to cram herself in to my one person hammock while I was trying to nap!  Said a little prayer for safety for her as she travels along over the next 24 hours.  Was hoping I'd sleep the whole flight to Miami but instead finished "Wild."  Enjoyed the book so now I need to find someone else to pass it off to.    Landed in Miami, through customs and checked in to our hotel rooms.  Leann and I headed for a quick bite to eat and then off for nice HOT showers and then comfy beds for a few quick hours of shut eye!  Its been fun but nothing like being back in the good old U.S. of A.

No comments:

Post a Comment